San Francisco is one of the four cities in the United States with a Michelin Guide. It’s also one of the most expensive cities to live in the United States.
It’s hard to get a decent price for a meal. The monthly rent is the only thing that bests the food prices. The average meal in San Francisco is just under 20 USD and I’m talking about lunch prices. The only other option would be to eat at large fast foods chains, which isn’t likely to happen in one of the most liberal cities in the United States.
However, there are restaurants with items under 10 USD. It’s still a bit pricey but under 10 USD is considered a steal in San Francisco. Here are our suggestions:
- Codmother Fish and Chips – The fish and chips food stall next to Fisherman’s Wharf. The fish is fresh and prepared when an order is made. In addition, the portion is massive and one order could easily be shared among two people.
- Good Mong Kok Bakery – The little popular Chinese Bakery in San Francisco’s Chinatown District. It’s a to-go establishment. The line starts to form around 9 AM, so I would suggest going early or during off times. The dim sum meal won’t cost more than 8 USD for two people.
- Delicious Dim Sum – Delicious Dim Sum is another popular dim sum restaurant in Chinatown. It doesn’t have a high food safety rating, but don’t let that scare you. It’s just additional flavor. A meal won’t cost more than 8 USD for two people.
- Golden Boy Pizza – This is probably my favorite pizza parlor on the West Coast. It reminds me of the pizza joints in New York. A slice of their famous Clam Sicilian didn’t run me more than 5 USD.
- Tony’s Pizza Napoletana – Tony is San Francisco’s favorite pizza joint. It’s located in North Beach and the line is down the block before they open. However, Tony has a Slice House next door, which he serves pizza by the slice. The slices are delicious with its tangy tomato sauce and it won’t cost more than 5 USD per slice.
Those are our recommendations for cheap eats in San Francisco. We’ll make a list of great Michelin restaurants to check out soon. Let me know if there’s any other restaurants that should be on the list in the comment section. Safe travels.